What is Sciatica?
Sciatica describes pain felt along the sciatic nerve, which runs from your lower back, down through the buttock, hamstrings and into the lower leg.
The pain may be caused by pressure or irritation to the nerves in the lower back but there are many different causes of sciatica so it’s important to get the right diagnosis.
If you are suffering with sciatica and looking for a Geelong chiropractor, we are here to help.
You can call us on 5222 6868, send us an email or make an online booking.
Symptoms often include:
- Pain in the buttock or leg that is worse when sitting
- Burning, pins and needles or tingling down the leg
- Weakness, numbness or loss of power in the leg or foot
- A constant pain on one side of the rear calf
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up.
What can you do if you have sciatica:
- Assess your work station or driving position. If there is a lot of pressure on the back of your leg, you may find yourself increasingly suffering from nerve pain.
- When sitting, your feet should be flat on the floor with your knees slightly lower than your hips. It is often better to sit on an upright chair, rather than a low, soft sofa.
- Placing a rolled towel in the small of your back can help to facilitate this good sitting posture.
- stretching the muscles in the lower back, buttocks and thighs.
- applying heat to the low back or hip can sometimes give some pain relief
Chiropractic treatment for sciatica
- Soft tissue therapy or massage
- Joint mobilisation and/or manipulation
- Exercises to stretch and strengthen specific muscles groups
- Advice on posture at home, work and play
About our Chiropractors
Drs Kyle Keenan, Rebecca Keenan and Phoebe Sheppard are experienced chiropractors with a broad range of skills and techniques that can assist you to recover from injury and improve your health. All of our chiropractors have additional qualifications to their chiropractic degrees making them uniquely positioned to provide holistic, evidence based chiropractic care. If you looking for a Geelong Chiropractor, our team are ready to help.
Find out more about them here.
“We have lots of patients with sciatica get relief from our treatment. We show them ways to prevent it from reoccuring.”