Chances are that if you have seen a heath practitioner or attended any sort of group fitness class, you’ve heard someone tell you to ‘listen to your body’. And no, they’re not just talking about the gurgles in your tummy when it hits 3:30pm and your lunch is feeling a little lonely.
Our bodies are (very cleverly) designed to send us signals when something isn’t quite right.
Here are some common signals and what they could mean:
- Scratchy throat – I don’t need to tell you what that one means
- Headache – dehydrated, stressed, muscular tension
- Upset tummy – sickness, food intolerance, anxiety/stress
- Sore back – musculoskeletal imbalance, soft tissue injury, postural strain
- Missing periods or change to periods – hormone dysfunction
- Sleeping difficulty – stress, hormone dysfunction, musculoskeletal dysfunction
This list barely scratches the surface, and of course there are many more reasons why you could be getting symptoms, some more serious than others. The point is, your body is sending you notifications every day.
Sometimes it’s pretty obvious what you need to do, and other times you need an interpreter to understand what your body is trying to tell you. That’s where your health practitioner comes in; it’s our job to listen to your ‘notifications’ and come up with a solution. We’ll also help you learn how to interpret them yourself, so you know what it means when your symptoms come back, and then we’ll give you some tools to use at home.
Every change, every symptom, every ache and pain happens for a reason. It’s all too easy to put your body on aeroplane mode and ignore the notifications. But we’re here to tell you that it’s not normal to be in pain every day and when you’re ready to starting listening, your body is ready to tell you (and us) what’s going on.
To book an appointment with one of our practitioners, call 03 5222 6868 or visit latrobehealthcentre.com.au