THE TASTY TREAT THAT’S DOING GOOD THINGS FOR YOUR GUT: GELATIN GUMMIES
Winter may be over, but we’re far from clear of the dreaded cold and flu season. Here is Dr Chelsea’s new fave recipe – Immune Boosting Gummies using natural gelatin and everyone’s favourite soothers.
Natural gelatin is a complete protein source, which provides essential amino acids necessary for tissue building and repair within multiple areas of the body.
Lemon promotes hydration, aids digestion, and is high in vitamin C, a strong antioxidant that can fight inflammation, boost immune function and improve zinc absorption (to name a few).
Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, and it can settle the stomach and help regulate blood pressure.
Manuka Honey is antimicrobial and promotes healing.
Try this recipe to create some immune gummies for yourself! They’re sweet, tangy and best off all, they have no nasties or added sugar!
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Manuka honey
- 3 inch knob ginger, grated (or 1-2 tsp minced ginger)
6 tbsp natural gelatin (I use NutraOrganics https://nutraorganics.com.au/products/natural-gelatin )
- Bloom your gelatin (if using powder) by adding to 1 cup of water and give it a stir
- Add ginger to the lemon juice, and strain both through a sieve to remove pulp
- In a saucepan over low heat, add the juice, ¾ cup of water, and your bloomed gelatin and warm up just enough to mel the gelatin. Don’t worry if it starts of a little clumpy (or just a big blob) – just keep stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the honey; stir well.
- Pour into moulds of your choice, and place in the fridge until gummies are set.
- Try not to eat half the batch in one go!
You can also experiment with other flavour combos to make any sort of gummy treat you like – perhaps try berries and coconut or espresso/coconut latte.