Our Geelong Chiropractors have many years experience treating patients who are suffering from shoulder pain.
“There are many different reasons people get shoulder pain, so it’s important to get the right diagnosis so that treatment can be directed to the right area”
Shoulder pain can be caused by problems directly in the shoulder OR by problems outside the shoulder that refer pain into the shoulder region.
Common causes of shoulder pain that our chiropractors regularly manage
- Osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint or acromio-clavicular jont
- Tendinitis and tendionpathies
- Overuse injuries to the ligarments and surrounding muscles
- Impingement problems
- Frozen shoulder
Common problems that can refer pain to the shoulder that our chiropractors treat regularly
- Dysfunction in the neck joints and nerves
- Disc bulges and disc injuries in the neck
- Dysfunction in the thoracic spine (between the shoulder blades)
- Referred pain from muscles around the shoulder, neck and mid-back
If you are struggling with shoulder pain and live in the Geelong region our chiropractors are here to help.
You can call us on 5222 6868, send us an email or make a booking online.
General tips for shoulder pain:
If you’re experiencing shoulder discomfort, you could try a couple of these simple exercises for pain relief
- Pendulum exercise – Stand with one arm resting on a chair. Let your other arm hang down and try to swing it gently backwards and forwards and in a circular motion. Repeat about 5 times. Try this 2–3 times a day.
- Shoulder rolls – Stand and raise your shoulders. Hold for 5 seconds. Squeeze your shoulder blades back and together and hold for 5 seconds. Pull your shoulder blades downward and hold for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat 10 times.
- Door lean – Stand in a doorway with both arms on the wall slightly above your head. Slowly lean forward until you feel a gentle stretch in the front of your shoulders. Hold for 20-40 seconds. Repeat 2 times.
Treatment for shoulder pain:
Your chiropractor will generally apply a combination of the following treatment options:
- Soft tissue therapy or massage
- Joint mobilisation and/or manipulation
- Specific exercises to stretch and strengthen specific muscles groups
- Advice on posture at home, work and play
- heat and cold therapy
- medication advice and referral
As shoulder pain is often complex it is important that a professional assessment and diagnosis is made. Our chiropractors will perform a detailed examination and create an individualised treatment plan for each patient.
About our Chiropractors
Drs Kyle and Rebecca Keenan and Dr. Phoebe Sheppard are experienced chiropractors with a broad range of skills and techniques that can assist you to recover from injury and improve your health. Kyle and Rebecca have been chiropractors in Geelong for many years and both have additional qualifications to their chiropractic degrees. Phoebe is completing her post-graduate studies in Sports Chiropractic making our chiropractors uniquely positioned to provide holistic, evidence based chiropractic care. Find out more about them here.